Monday, July 18, 2011

I Was Wrong About Korea

When I heard about this in other countries, I thought this could never happen here — 'Slut Walk' protest held in Seoul. That said, the protests, while misguided, are not without reason:
    The protests began after Michael Sanguinetti, a Toronto police officer, said, “Women should avoid dressing like sluts” to remain safe.

    The Korean version of the Slut Walk protest was initiated by a woman who suggested the rally on her Twitter account after the alleged sexual assault by three male medical school students at Korea University on a female colleague during a school trip in May.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

OpenID kuiwon said...

I do agree somewhat with the officer -- especially because I dislike Feminism to a fervent degree. If I were to walk wearing expensive jewelry, watch, and clothes clearly visible -- say -- in Detroit or Southside Chicago, there is a higher chance of me getting mugged.

1:41 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

I, too, see his advice as pragmatic, rather than moralistic.

2:06 PM  
OpenID kuiwon said...

I long for the days before I was born when Korea still had dress code laws.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.