Monday, June 13, 2011

You Can't Go Home Again?

Maybe not, Mr. Tom Wolfe, but you can fly halfway around the world to a town 60 miles from the one you grew up in and haven't been to this millennium because your family moved away after you did. And there you can hear clearly for the first time the accent you grew up with, the most euphonious one in the Anglosphere, drink 24 oz. cans of Genesee Beer for 99¢ a pop, and eat real pizza. All this you can do at the invitation and expense of a renowned regional university considering you for a job.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Josh - good luck with that!

Shame it wasn't in April, you could have joined our conference. But keep us posted on how this works out. And if you end up near NYC, let me know - I owe you about a keg's worth of beers (Genesee or otherwise)!

10:45 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Many thanks! I do hope to end up in WNY, but would venture to NYC for beer (and bialy bagels).

I had a great at Tommy Makem's pub once. I'd say I'd never forget it, but I was too drunk to remember it. There is a picture, though. The look on Mr Makem's face says, "Who is this idiot I'm standing next to."

11:07 PM  
OpenID danightman said...

Good luck with your job prospect, Josh.

If you come back and end up around Dayton, I'll have to bring you a six pack of Cincinnati favorite Christian Moerlein.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You had me at "the accent you grew up with." It might not be a literal homecoming, but it's close enough for the heart not to know the difference!

Good luck with this prospect, Joshua! =)

1:43 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Thanks, you two, too.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.