Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Jack White and Stephen Colbert Try to Out-Catholic Each Other"

A link to an amusing video [foul-language warning] — I'm More Catholic Than You!

I didn't know know Mr. White from Adam until on a flight I chanced upon It Might Get Loud (2008), the "documentary on the electric guitar from the point of view of three significant rock musicians: the Edge, Jimmy Page and Jack White." [Did the '80s really produce no better guitarist? The Edge sits back, obviously outclassed, while Page obviously admires the young White, who combines the intensity of punk with the virtuosity of metal.]

The documentary informed us that Mr. White grew up in Detroit, the youngest of ten children. I thought, "Rust belt? Natalism? Gotta be Catholic." Turns out that hunch was right. Wikipedia's page on Jack White tells us, "His father and mother worked for the Archdiocese of Detroit, as the maintenance man and the Cardinal's secretary, respectively."

It also quotes him as saying, "I'd got accepted to a seminary in Wisconsin, and I was gonna become a priest, but at the last second I thought, 'I’ll just go to public school... I had just gotten a new amplifier in my bedroom, and I didn’t think I was allowed to take it with me.'"

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm ROFLMAO!!! That was the funniest thing I've seen all night . . . and I'd actually been watching stand up comedy clips from YouTube for an hour before I clicked on that link. =P

I tried out-Catholic-ing them while watching--as I'm sure every other Catholic who has seen the video tried to do. I got a real kick out of being able to pull Be Not Afraid out of the depths of my subconscious. (I don't ever recall singing it in the Philippines, although it was a popular one in New Zealand.) Anyway, the only questions I missed were the one about the Black Pope (although I should have known it) and the paten. But I'm going to excuse myself on the last one because I was never an altar boy. ;-)

How did you do?

4:57 AM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

PS -- I'm not going to watch the video again to be sure, but I think Jack White got the last word of the Be Not Afraid chorus wrong. =P And note that they sang the chorus rather than the first verse! LOL!!!

PPS -- Don't you wish this were the sort of thing you could get on EWTN?

5:00 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Since I converted here in Korea, I had and have no idea what Be Not Afraid was all about. I get the feeling I'm fortunate for that.

I got the one about the Black Pope right, and picked up right away on Colbert's mistake about Mary's mother. I forget the word "paten" as well, but if he had asked about a "pyx" I would have gotten that right.

And I agree, EWTN would be much better if it had stuff like this. Also, I liked how they used the sign of the cross as a kind of gang salute at the end. That should become part of tradition.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Dauvit Balfour said...

I loved this! I missed the one about the Black Pope, and about St. Rita. Being an altar boy, I got the paten question right (also, as a friend pointed out, I prefer thurible to censer).

I like the signum crucis as gang salute, too, and the dig at 60s music, and... yeah, the whole thing was great.

When I have my own brewery, my slogan will be "Whatsoever you brew for the least of my brothers". Maybe I'll call it Least Brothers Brewery, or something like that.

I think the saddest part about this for me was that some of my Catholic friends "cringed when they [Colbert and White] got things wrong", as if knowledge of Catholic trivia and arcana somehow is vitally important.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.