Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Great Game


歸源 (Kuiwon) reports that David Lai, a professor at the Army War College (in the US), is suggesting that the game whose object is "balancing the need to expand with the need to build protected clusters" "holds the key to understanding how the Chinese really think" — WSJ – US Strategists Learning From Go.

My kindergartner son has been learning the game, called Baduk, for a few weeks now, on his own volition, and loves it. We had him enrolled in a Taekwondo, with the hope that he could some day defend himself and his big sister against potential enemies, but he hated. It was too much like dancing, he complained. Then, one day, out of the blue with no prompting from us, he suggested he wanted to learn the 2000-year-old game this post describes. We laughed, and found him a school.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

OpenID kuiwon said...

Funny thing is that I was the opposite at your son's age. I wanted to do Taekwondo like the rest of my friends, but my pacifist dad would not allow violence of any sort. Instead, I was enrolled in a Baduk academy (Giweon, 기원), and have enjoyed the game ever since.

1:22 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Funny, indeed. Your Father-nim is a wise and good man.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

My family had a Go set when I was young, but I never learned to play it. But after I read this post, I did a bit of research on my own and watched some tutorials for beginners on YouTube, and found myself loving the peek into "how the Chinese really think."

For it turns out that Go is one of the Four Arts of the Chinese Scholar, which are the Ancient Chinese answer to the West's classical Trivium. It's not a mere game; it's a way of learning and mastering logic. Fascinating stuff . . .

3:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.