Monday, May 30, 2011

Confucian Mexicans

"A child would not dream of moving far away if he or she felt needed by the family," writes Arturo Vasquez — On large families. "When his parents are alive, a son should not go far abroad; or if he does, he should let them know where he goes," said the Sage.

The Western Confucian is not a very good Confucian, but in my defense, I picked all this stuff up over here, and I have at least let them know where I am. Also, I'm working on remedying the situation and should know something by the middle of the month. Prayers please.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger laBiscuitnapper said...

Of course. I'm keeping you in my prayers.

That was a very interesting article too. Particularly when he points out the difference between having a culture with a naturally 'large family' ethic and attempting to impose that ethic. It reminds me of a conversation my sisters and I once had about where we would live when we were older and after a lot of chat, came to the conclusion that ideally, it would only be a few streets away from where our family home is now. Now, in our day to day life we are definitely not shining examples of Igbo Confucianism but it was strange to realise that in spite of that, our instinct was to stay near our ageing parents, grandparents and godparents.

12:25 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

It seems to be a natural instinct, even if modern society represses it.

My mother always regretted not living closer to her relatives, although we took her parents in when they got old. I grew up in a multigenerational, and want my kids to have the same experience.

So, next week I'll be meeting with some folks in the city next to the one I grew up in. If all goes well, I'll be relocating to America and my parents will move in with us. My father even said he'd become Catholic, since we should all go to the same church.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Pints in NYC said...

Wonder what Fukuyama (yo mama what?) would have to say about all this?

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.