Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Gregorio Allegri's Miserere Mei Deus Performed by The Sixteen, Directed by Harry Christophers


I've broken with convention by already having posted some performances of Gregorio Allegri's Miserere, which was "composed during the reign of Pope Urban VIII, probably during the 1630s, for use in the Sistine Chapel during matins, as part of the exclusive Tenebrae service on Wednesday and Friday of Holy Week" and was found to be so beautiful that, "at some point, it became forbidden to transcribe the music and it was only allowed to be performed at those particular services, adding to the mystery surrounding it." A documentary on the piece — Sacred Music: The Storyof Allegri's Miserere / The Sixteen.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

OpenID tmckamey said...

A few months back I posted an article on Gregorio Allegri's beautiful setting of Psalm 51, Miserere Mei Deus, and only tonight got around to looking up the english translation of the latin text sung in the piece. You can read my post here at; http://soundpossibilities.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/a-bright-light-piercing-open-my-heart/
The piece has always been such a favorite of mine, I don't know why I never bothered to look up the translation before, but you can read my comments and see for yourself, I have not been the least bit disappointed. I then discovered your posting of the BBC video of The Sixteen performing it and was able to actually zero in on the exact verses where the soprano generates white light from high C, so I added one more comment to my own posting with a link to your post. I hope that is alright with you. I furthermore hope you enjoy my musings on this amazing piece of music. Thanking you, Tim McKamey

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.