Monday, March 21, 2011

My Kind of Lenten Fast

A report on a "38-year-old from Iowa [who] is following the example of 17th-century Bavarian friars who did not allow solid food to pass their lips during the penitential season" — Lenten fast of nothing but beer. Some history:
    Doppelbock received papal approval in the late 1600s, so the legend goes, because the Paulaner friars sent a cask of the brew to Rome which turned sour on the long journey across the Alps. The pope tasted the sour liquid and decided that anything so disgusting must be good for penitents, giving it his sanction.
Maybe I'll give it a shot during Holy Week. An English chemist once told me that the human body can survive on a daily diet of 24 bottles of Guinness and an egg.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

8 Comments:

Blogger Pints in NYC said...

I'll drink to that!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mark in Spokane said...

Not me. I gave up alcohol for Lent!

1:37 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

This is the first Lent in which I haven't given up alcohol in years. I usually fast daily and give up alcohol, but this year I decided that was a bit too rigorous.

1:49 PM  
Blogger T said...

Sour beer -- sounds a little like Belgian lambic beers, which I find to be delicious! No penance involved with drinking those at all!

2:25 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

God bless Belgium monasticism for the fine beers it has given us.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I don't know whether to encourage you to keep blogging regularly on a diet of beer and water (or 24 bottles of Guinness and an egg) or to caution you to keep the blog quiet for the duration!

1:12 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Blogging Under the Influence is seldom a good idea.

4:18 AM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

But for those of us who are sober, so entertaining! ;-)

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.