Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" Performed by Wyclef Jean

Something somewhat moving from September, 2001's America: A Tribute to Heroes to accompany this news about the musician whose excellent 1997 album The Carnival holds the distinction of being the very last product of popular music in which I was interested — Wyclef Jean Shot In Hand In Haiti.

"But my hand was made strong, by the hand of the Almighty." Also à propos for these days: "Have no fear for atomic energy, 'cause none of them can stop the time."

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share


Blogger 유미 said...

Great cover. Wyclef seems to have a knack for this. In his time with The Fugees, they covered "No Woman No Cry":

They also performed it with Stephen Marley:

As for "Redemption Song", I was always partial to Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros version:

9:45 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Ahhhhh... The Fugees. They provided the soundtrack for my first year in Korea... 1997.

As a Clash-head from the early '80s, I thank you for the last link, of which I had somehow forgotten.

Here's another rendition -- Redemption Song - Johnny Cash and Joe Strummer.

10:25 PM  
Blogger 유미 said...

Thanks for the link. That was a good mash-up. It's pretty amazing how Johnny Cash can basically just talk on a mic and it sounds so great and powerful.

I love The Clash too. This is one of my favourite clips of them. I think it is part of a documentary called Rude Boy.

11:06 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Great link. Thanks.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.