Monday, March 21, 2011

The 108 Prostrations of Great Repentance

Of course, there's no need to go beyond a good Catholic Examination of Conscience, but this which I stumbled upon on the local Buddhist television network the other night reminds us the penance is a universal need — 108 영어 참회문:
    1. With sincere devotion, I take refuge in Shakyamuni Buddha.

    2. With sincere devotion, I take refuge in the Dharma.

    3. With sincere devotion, I take refuge in the Sangha.

    4. I prostrate in repentance for being ignorant of where I came from and unmindful of where I will go.

    5. I prostrate in repentance for being ignorant of my true self and correct situation, relationship, and function.

    6. I prostrate in repentance for having taken this body for granted.

    7. I prostrate in repentance for having neglected my original nature.

    8. I prostrate in repentance for having taken my ancestors for granted.

    9. I prostrate in repentance for having taken my parents for granted.

    10. I prostrate in repentance for having taken my relatives for granted.

    11. I prostrate in repentance for being unmindful of all those who have contributed to my learning and education.

    12. I prostrate in repentance for being unmindful of all those who have grown, prepared, and provided my nutrition.

    13. I prostrate in repentance for being unmindful of all those who have made and provided my clothing.

    14. I prostrate in repentance for being unmindful of all those who have built and provided my shelter.

    15. I prostrate in repentance for manipulating people for my own selfish needs.

    16. I prostrate in repentance for having ignored the effects of my misdeeds on others.

    17. I prostrate in repentance with complete devotion to eradicate Karma accumulated in the past, present, and the future.

    18. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have harmed through fits of anger.

    19. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have stung with hurtful words.

    20. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have harmed through arrogance.

    21. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have harmed through avarice.

    22. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have harmed through my jealous thoughts.

    23. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have scorched with the flames of my rage.

    24. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have harmed through attachment to my possessions.

    25. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have harmed through attachment to like-and-dislike mind.

    26. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have alienated through thought, word, and deed.

    27. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I harmed through gossip, slander, and bad speech.

    28. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have looked down upon.

    29. I prostrate in repentance for my cowardly thoughts, words, and deeds.

    30. I prostrate in repentance for all my hypocritical deeds and lies.

    31. I prostrate in repentance for poisoning other beings through my mindless materialistic overconsumption.

    32. I prostrate in repentance to all sentient beings that I have harmed or killed for entertainment and pleasure.

    33. I prostrate in repentance for conceiving of this world only through the lens of my ego.

    34. I prostrate in repentance to all those I have harmed through attachment to my thinking.

    35. I prostrate in repentance to all those I have harmed through foolish or unnecessary speech.

    36. I prostrate in repentance to all those whom I have injured by engaging in relationships based on using each other.

    37. I prostrate in repentance for all thoughts, words, and deeds which create attachment.

    38. I prostrate in repentance for having thought that only what I saw was correct.

    39. I prostrate in repentance for having thought that only what I heard was correct.

    40. I prostrate in repentance for having thought that only what I smelled was correct.

    41. I prostrate in repentance for having thought that only what I tasted was correct.

    42. I prostrate in repentance for having thought that only what I felt was correct.

    43. I prostrate in repentance for every action born from I-my-me mind.

    44. I prostrate in repentance for not seeing clearly my true interconnectedness to all forms of life.

    45. I prostrate in repentance for having disregarded our only home, Earth.

    46. I prostrate in repentance for selfishly polluting the air.

    47. I prostrate in repentance for selfishly polluting the rivers and lakes.

    48. I prostrate in repentance for selfishly polluting the mountains and the oceans.

    49. I prostrate in repentance for selfishly destroying the flowers and trees.

    50. I prostrate in repentance for a lifestyle built on the suffering of other forms of life.

    51. I prostrate in repentance for discriminating between the rich and poor in my choice of relations.

    52. I prostrate in repentance for discriminating between high and low, the superior and the inferior.

    53. I prostrate in repentance for discriminating between "good" and "bad."

    54. I prostrate in repentance for seeing this world based on absolute "right" or "wrong."

    55. I prostrate in repentance for my lack of compassion for the sick or grieving.

    56. I prostrate in repentance for my lack of compassion for those suffering from depression.

    57. I prostrate in repentance for my lack of compassion for the poor and needy.

    58. I prostrate in repentance for my lack of compassion for those who are stubborn or hard to work with.

    59. I prostrate in repentance for my lack of compassion for the lonely, and those trapped by addiction.

    60. I prostrate in repentance for my lack of compassion for those in trouble with the law.

    61. I prostrate in gratitude for having come to take refuge in the Buddha.

    62. I prostrate in gratitude for having come to take refuge in the Dharma.

    63. I prostrate in gratitude for having come to take refuge in the Sangha.

    64. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to realize that all beings are interconnected as one.

    65. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to realize that all beings can communicate and sympathize with one another.

    66. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to realize that all beings live in accordance with the Universal Law.

    67. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to realize that all beings have the same True Nature.

    68. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see the beauty of this world.

    69. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to know the wonders of all life forms.

    70. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to hear the pure beauty of the birds' singing.

    71. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to know the spiritual sound of the wind.

    72. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to hear the bubbling music of the streams.

    73. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to feel the energy of new life in Spring.

    74. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see the beauty of a shimmering rainbow.

    75. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see that true peace of mind comes from being in harmony with nature.

    76. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see that nature is Universal Law.

    77. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see that nature is our Great Teacher.

    78. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see that compassion is the greatest blessing of all.

    79. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see that a heart filled with hatred and resentment is the greatest misfortune of all.

    80. I prostrate in gratitude for coming to see that selfless love is the greatest power of all.

    81. I prostrate as a vow to live in the embrace of the Buddha.

    82. I prostrate as a vow to live in accordance with the Dharma.

    83. I prostrate as a vow to follow the teachings of the Sangha.

    84. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from greed.

    85. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from anger.

    86. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from arrogance.

    87. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from jealousy.

    88. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from saying hurtful things.

    89. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from hypocritical speech.

    90. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from slandering.

    91. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from looking down on others.

    92. I prostrate as a vow to refrain from resenting others.

    93. I prostrate as a vow to be humble in all that I do.

    94. I prostrate as a vow to do my best in all my endeavors.

    95. I prostrate as a vow to be honest in everything I do.

    96. I prostrate as a vow to be positive in everything I do.

    97. I prostrate as a vow to live with a compassionate heart.

    98. I prostrate as a vow to always have a bright and happy heart.

    99. I prostrate as a prayer so that all beings may live in peace.

    100. I prostrate as a prayer for an end to all wars.

    101. I prostrate as a prayer for an end to poverty.

    102. I prostrate as a prayer for an end to all diseases.

    103. I prostrate as a vow to always practice the disciplines of the Bodhisattva.

    104. I prostrate as a vow to cultivate transcendental wisdom.

    105. I prostrate as a vow to never regress in practice.

    106. I prostrate as a vow to meet eminent teachers.

    107. I prostrate as a vow to meet the Buddhas who always appear in this world, from moment to moment.

    108. I prostrate as a vow to transfer all merits accumulated through compassionate action to all beings in the ten directions.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Thank you for this.

A useful lens for examining our lives more closely; I will certainly be adopting it in a Christian context.

So many times, it is easy for me to globally gloss over my sins, rather than to think about them and address them very specifically and practically.

2:21 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

You're welcome. I found myself prostrating while watching the show. I soon gave up because it was really hard. Then my wife came in and said some people use it as an exercise for losing weight.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.