Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mr. Obama's Speech

Call me a cynic, but I do not see it as "one of the most remarkable speeches I’ve seen him give" or "simply masterful," as Matt Talbot suggests it was — Obama’s Remarks in Tucson.

Perhaps it was "the wild cheering, ovations, whistling and applause" a commenter rightly called "a tad inappropriate for a memorial service" that put me off, but I think the speech itself was mediocre at best. I say this as someone who uses Mr. Obama's Keynote Address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention as material in a course on public speaking.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Blogger Faith said...

Are you saying his delivery was weak?
Are you a Toastmaster?

12:18 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

His delivery ain't what it used to be, but it was more the content that bothered me. It didn't seem appropriately mournful. Maybe without the wild cheers and applause it would have.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.