Friday, January 7, 2011

Mark Twain and Catholicism

"Should Catholics and other Christians share in the civic pride and widespread admiration for Twain?" asks the Catholic News Service's Mike Latona — Mark Twain's autobiography renews debate: Was he anti-Christian?

The author notes that "Twain considered his best work to be 'Joan of Arc,' a reverential biographical account of a Catholic saint who exhibited all the human ideals Twain found so lacking in the rest of mankind." I'll have to put that work on my reading list. My own two contributions to global Twain studies, simplifications for Korean learners of English, was some of the most joyous work I've ever done:

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Dauvit Balfour said...

I've read Joan of Arc, and it is easily among my favorite books. You will enjoy it.

10:21 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Thank you. Now I must read it.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Matt@Occidentalism.org said...

Dare I say it - did you censor 'nigger Jim'?

10:40 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

I hate to say it, but I did. In fact, I agonized over the decision. But, in the end, since the goal of my work was to simplify for a low-level Korean audience, I decided the word "nigger" had too many naunces.

I belive I called him "Black Jim." Definitely not "African-American Jim."

It's been pointed out that he's the wisest and noblest character in the book.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.