Friday, January 7, 2011

C. Monteverdi's Vespro della Beata Vergine, 1610 (Heinrich Schütz Version) Performed by Collegium Musicum Rīga

"First complete performance of this work in Latvia!" we learn, and not 400 years soon enough! This work I consider to be the greatest musical composition in all of human history, and, having listened to numerous renditions, can say that this one ranks among the best (and not just because of the lovely Latvian lasses). (And I had no idea one of my favorite German Lutheran composers had a "version" of the work.) It is certainly the most intimate I have seen, made even more so by the wonderful baby crying throughout. Someday, God willing, I pray to see this work performed, and will travel halfway across the world to see it.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.