Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"You Can't Go Home Again"

Thomas Wolfe's observation may, much to my regret, be true of me, literally. You may have garnered from recent posts that I have been looking for work at a university back home, and had one promising lead. (Thus, the Latinization of my name on the sidebar.)

The Skype interview went well, save for one interviewer's doubts as to whether I could adapt to working with American students after a decade-and-a-half overseas. It was a fair question, and interesting that it came from the only "diverse" member of the hiring committee, as one might think my overseas experience might add some "diversity" to the team.

To be fair, it was 5:15 AM and I did not answer the question as best I could. This prompted a follow-up interview, in which I was asked of all things if I knew who Snooki was. I answered that I did, alluding to the fact that it was the great Gerald Celente's comment that "America has become Snooki stupid" that informed me of the existence of this entity, who apparently caused a sensation among the students at the university to which I had been seeking to work.

The interviewer was satisfied by my answer, but she also forwarded me some additional questiones to be answered in writing by the above-mentioned "diverse" member of the hiring committee:
    What are some major issues US college students are facing today? How would you help them deal with these issues? What has caused these issues? How are students reacting to these issues?
I can, and will, give a good and honest answer to these questions. In brief: The major issue college students are facing today is the complete breakdown of social, moral, and ethical norms. I would help them deal with these issues by providing counter-cultural examples of right living from humanity's diverse traditional belief systems. Modernity itself has caused these issues. Students are reacting to these issues by engaging in behavior that risks their souls to eternal damnation. Such an answer would probably get me rejected at most Catholic schools, let alone a state one. (I have no problem with the several states being involved in education, just the Feds.)

The university in question is located in my home state, in Rod Serling's hometown, which I think would be an ideal place for me to resettle with my family. However, another issue, a potential dealbreaker, is that the position is funded by an unconstitutional federal grant through a department (and a government perhaps) that I would rather see abolished. While it might be ethical to "bleed the beast" and divert funds from war and empire, at then end of the day, I'd have to go to sleep knowing that I was living off the expropriated wages of my fellow citizens. I wouldn't be happy with that.

So, if any of you can recommend a good small university or college, preferably in Upstate New York or Vermont, that might be in need of a fellow with some international experience who can teach English and speak Spanish and Korean and a smattering of other languages, please let me know. Otherwise, I might be stuck at the world's top 28th university (Top 200 - The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2010-2011) for years come.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger 박공원 said...

Wow I didn't know that you were angling for a return to the States! Good luck with that: you're in my prayers. Canada suffers from all the modernist problems that you mentioned above, and, from what I can tell, is much more advanced in that than the US. However, since southern Ontario borders the US (upstate New York) and is very multicultural it might be ideal for you. Beyond that, "diversity" is an obsession here so that might help too. Again, I don't know if there are any openings, but maybe look into it! Good luck again. And if you end up staying in Korea, the worlds 28th best university ain't bad! ^^

4:34 AM  
Blogger Pints in NYC said...

See you email ASAP.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Pints in NYC said...

And here's the latest news about Snooki:

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=12510343

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Fans disappointed that "Jersey Shore" star Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi will not be placed in a large ball and dropped from a building during MTV's New Year's Eve bash from Times Square can rest easy.

MTV confirmed on Thursday the Snooki ball drop will indeed take place, but at a new location: Seaside Heights, New Jersey, the original setting for the hit reality show.

...

10:33 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Pints, I'll be getting back to you. Thanks for the update on Snooki. Never thought my future career might depend on her.

I placed this intention under the care of the Immaculada, asking her that if it is God's will and if it would be a good move for my family, assist me in this job effort. Snooki may well be my answer.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.