Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Post-Confucian Korea and the Feminist (anti-)Cultural Revolution

We all knew that after "the hoju (patriarchal family) system was abolished in 2008" all hell would break loose, and it has — Is feminism creating a revolution in surnames? "A family name itself is the product of patriarchy," said a student. "Since I’m interested in feminism, I use only my first name and not my family name in both private and public settings."

"In certain cases, people used the surnames of both parents to protest the patriarchal family system, but some criticized that using the surname itself is jus sanguinis," said a professor of women's studies. "Since Korean culture has been heavily influenced by the Confucian practice of stressing the importance of blood ties, some are trying out dropping their surnames as part of a cultural campaign."

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

OpenID bonald said...

That's very sad. I had hoped that Leftist loathing of one's own culture was just a Western pathology. I suppose most of the students in Korea are "interested in feminism" now and eager to mow down their own civilization. How uncritically they swallow Western propaganda!

3:43 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

I, too, was surprised by this, and I live here.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.