Tuesday, December 7, 2010

American Monarchy?

John Médaille has made quite a stir (and perhaps a bit of a stink) with two recent Front Porch Republic articles — Why I am a Monarchist and Monarchy and Regalism. Rumor has it that one contributor to the site left in protest. To be fair, the site does have the word "Republic" in its title.

"Place. Limits. Liberty." That's what the site stands for. The "place" in question is America. There is no doubt that monarchism is a legitimate form of government, but could it be a legitimate form of government for Americans? Let's ask His Most Apostolic Majesty Archduke Franz Joseph Otto Robert Maria Anton Karl Max Heinrich Sixtus Xaver Felix Renatus Ludwig Gaetan Pius Ignatius of Austria:
    I am often asked if I am a republican or a monarchist. I am neither, I am a legitimist: I am for legitimate government. You could never have a monarchy in Switzerland, and it would be asinine to imagine Spain as a republic.
I would not put words in his most apostolically majestic mouth, but I imagine the Archduke might agree that you could never have a monarchy in America, and that it would indeed be asinine to imagine the American Republic as one. (I'd add that it is even more asenine to imagine America as the empire it has become in recent years.) I could, however, see a throughly Catholicized America or segment of her returning to her roots in Jeffersonian Jacobitism and inviting a descendent of His Royal Highness Francis II to the throne, but not in the near future, and possibly only after some catastrophe.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share


Blogger earthboundkid said...

I am a firm proponent of the restoration of the imperial line of Emperor Norton I of San Francisco. No one has ever wielded the Mandate of Heaven as did he.

(Incidentally, here in Hawaii, there are more than a few locals who wouldn't mind restoring the monarchy, not that they could ever agree who to restore it to…)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Mild Colonial Boy, Esq. said...

The comment thread at 'Throne and Altar' may help clarify the matters between certain FPRs at


12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.