Monday, November 22, 2010

Retaking the Nolan Chart Survey

In honor of the man who by creating it "redefined the old left-right political spectrum unto a more-accurate two-dimensional field" — Libertarian Party Founder David Nolan, RIP. "He was an outspoken advocate of radical libertarianism and was a strong voice against war as the worst infringement on liberty," says Eric Garris.


I was slightly surprised to find myself politically identical to Jesse Ventura. Take the Nolan Chart Survey to see where you stand, if you wish, before reading the rest of this entry. I agreed with the "libertarian" position on seven out of the ten survey questions. Here's where my answers differed:

I agreed with the "statist" response that "[t]he Second Amendment only applies to 'militias' (such as the National Guard), and thus there is no specific protection afforded by it to individuals' and that "[i]t should be up to the government to decide the degree to which guns should be regulated for the public good" because the Bill of Rights originally applied only to what the central government could not do, not the several States, at least before the 14th Amendment. The several States should decide.

I agreed with the "conservative" position that "[h]omosexuality is an abomination and is banned by the Bible" and that "[g]ay marriage should be illegal in all cases," although as a Catholic I would not have worded either response in that way. Homosexuality is an abomination under natural law and "gay marriage" need not be made illegal because it is simply an impossibility.

I agreed with the "liberal" response that "[c]orporate welfare should be eliminated for big business, but the social safety net for individuals should be retained." I understand the damage welfare does (and is intended to do) to individuals and families, but it is would be as wrong to blame welfare recipients for being stuck in the system as it would to blame Indians for being stuck on the reservation. Keep the social safety net as needed but work to get people back on their own two feet by getting the government off their backs.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

6 Comments:

Blogger Dauvit Balfour said...

Leading questions are fun, aren't they?

10:49 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Yeah, I've taken the survey several times over the years, and always ended up in the same quadrant, but each time have founded the questions more problematic.

Still, the chart is miles ahead of current American political taxonomy, for which Mitt Romney represents the right, Joe Lieberman the left, and anyone outside that spectrum extremism.

There are better surveys out there, but this one is the pioneer.

11:56 PM  
Blogger mcmlxix said...

I'm dead center between left and right and into libertarian but not too far.

These kinds of quizzes and also polls bug me though. Often none of the answers approach my opinion at all, and worse (like in this survey) many questions actually asks two or more questions...one of which I strongly support and one which I strongly oppose. What do I do then?

I was called at home by an official pollster once. Most of my answers were 'no opinion' because of this, which is unfortunate because anyone I know will tell you that I'm very opinionated.

Regarding our Second Amendment, I think the Swiss are living it out better than we are.

I'm not so sure that homosexuality was a concept in Biblical times, although homosex certainly was. That alone would make me not select that answer. Anyway gay marriage is an oxymoron, but still many of the civil perks attached to marriage are just that, civil. In the end, I'm not sure what a consensus would be in our hot house political climate. What worries me most is homo-normalization which really just homo-promotion or more worrisome, "anti"-homo-criminalization.

An interesting case is a good friend who is entirely SSA although predominately asexual. Since he will never marry nor have children he is in a mutually beneficial relationship with his family, which is why [extended] families are the cornerstone of society. He cared for his grandmother for the last 15 years of her life and so inherited her house, and I'm entirely sure that his nieces and nephews (which he more than dotes over now) will look after him in his old age.

I answered the same about welfare, but I'd much rather that the States were responsible for it than the Federal government. There is a down side to this though. MN where I live has a fairly good welfare system and in the 90s the state was inundated with people from Chicago and Gary, and as a result we gained the name Muderapolis. I was mostly displeased with that since I had just moved here from AZ, I had to pay out of state tuition, even though I was well on my way (I like to think) to being a net positive for this state.

The question on trade and money was impossible for me to answer as I'm more of a fair-trader than a free-trader, yet perhaps contradictorily support only minimal economic regulation, and I'm entirely opposed to the Federal Reserve Bank.

I like the "Political Compass" if only because it puts the majority of Democrats (Obama included) in the Authoritarian Right quadrant. It also places me closest to Dennis Kucinich...hmmm.

2:14 AM  
Blogger mcmlxix said...

According to Blogger, I'n too verbose to put this in one comment.

I'm dead center between left and right and into libertarian but not too far.

These kinds of quizzes and also polls bug me though. Often none of the answers approach my opinion at all, and worse (like in this survey) many questions actually asks two or more questions...one of which I strongly support and one which I strongly oppose. What do I do then?

I was called at home by an official pollster once. Most of my answers were 'no opinion' because of this, which is unfortunate because anyone I know will tell you that I'm very opinionated.

Regarding our Second Amendment, I think the Swiss are living it out better than we are.

I'm not so sure that homosexuality was a concept in Biblical times, although homosex certainly was. That alone would make me not select that answer. Anyway gay marriage is an oxymoron, but still many of the civil perks attached to marriage are just that, civil. In the end, I'm not sure what a consensus would be in our hot house political climate. What worries me most is homo-normalization which really just homo-promotion or more worrisome, "anti"-homo-criminalization.

An interesting case is a good friend who is entirely SSA although predominately asexual. Since he will never marry nor have children he is in a mutually beneficial relationship with his family, which is why [extended] families are the cornerstone of society. He cared for his grandmother for the last 15 years of her life and so inherited her house, and I'm entirely sure that his nieces and nephews (which he more than dotes over now) will look after him in his old age.

2:15 AM  
Blogger mcmlxix said...

I answered the same about welfare, but I'd much rather that the States were responsible for it than the Federal government. There is a down side to this though. MN where I live has a fairly good welfare system and in the 90s the state was inundated with people from Chicago and Gary, and as a result we gained the name Muderapolis. I was mostly displeased with that since I had just moved here from AZ, I had to pay out of state tuition, even though I was well on my way (I like to think) to being a net positive for this state.

The question on trade and money was impossible for me to answer as I'm more of a fair-trader than a free-trader, yet perhaps contradictorily support only minimal economic regulation, and I'm entirely opposed to the Federal Reserve Bank.

I like the "Political Compass" if only because it puts the majority of Democrats (Obama included) in the Authoritarian Right quadrant. It also places me closest to Dennis Kucinich...hmmm.

2:16 AM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm in the green area as well, Joshua, but closer to "conservative" than to "liberal." (Scare quotes are there because I've mistrusted these labels for years.)

And I'm with you on the marriage question. Had it been worded differently--less like what a Bible literalist might say--I would have chosen it instead of the "private contract" option.

2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.