Monday, November 1, 2010

Never Let Me Go Trailer


Margaret Somerville reviews a film she calls "an unsettling demonstration of the dehumanising potential of medical technology" — Never Let Me Go. The film offers us a vision of a "dystopic and unethical example of a rapidly developing field called 'regenerative medicine' (which, used ethically, offers great hope)" in "a science-fiction story set in the past, the 1950s and 60s." I've blogged about the book before — Best Dystopian Alternative History of the Decade Made Into Film.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments:

Blogger The Western Confucian said...

You need to learn how to read, not read into.

How does my quoting the statement "regenerative medicine' (which, used ethically, offers great hope)" [emphasis added] lead you to think I might be "opposed to regenerative medicine in general"?

6:58 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

You need to pay better attention to the news. Every stem cell advance we've read about has been with adult stem cells, and is thus ethical. The Pope and many bishops in their dioceses have generously funded such stem cell research.

I myself have both of my children's umbilical cord blood frozen.

4:47 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

"Adult stem cells have limitations."

But no ethical ones, and medicine is all about overcoming limits.

8:55 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Robert P. George and Christopher Tollefsen formulated a scientific argument -- Embryo: A Defense of Human Life and Embryonic Debate.

10:39 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

The pattern is this: I do not have time to engage someone who drops on my blog and thinks that I have the obligation to debate issues with him. So, I offer links that might be helpful.

The quote you copied was from Publisher's Weekly. So what? I can handle difference of opinions.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.