Saturday, November 20, 2010

Jefferson on Bacon

"I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give," said the author of Declaration of Independence, quoted to introduce this article on what I'll be cooking for the family tomorrow morning — Mastering Man Food: How to Cook Bacon Properly.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger mcmlxix said...

Ah bacon...is there any problem that it cannot solve?

There is a punk music bar near here that has free bacon Wednesdays...while supplies last. No crisp bacon for me though. I like it al dente to even a what I'd call succulently chewy. But cooking it without eating it all as it drains one slice at a time on the paper towel is a big challenge.

My favorite way to have bacon prepared is Szechuan twice cooked pork...boiled pork belly subsequently stir fried with Szechuan pepper, chili, ginger, and leeks.

8:47 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

"Ah bacon...is there any problem that it cannot solve?"

If only it were kosher and halal, the Palestinian-Israeli conflict would have been solved long ago.

Your recipe sounds like something my father-in-law makes.

12:37 PM  
OpenID danightman said...

If only it were kosher and halal, the Palestinian-Israeli conflict would have been solved long ago.

Guess they have to settle for Turkey Bacon, which, as the article says, is not bacon (though can still be plenty good).

10:10 PM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Someone once told me that the "rule" when it comes to bacon is to make about ten times more than you believe you'll need. That's some of the best kitchen advice I ever got! ;-)

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.