Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Arvo Pärt's Cantus in Memoriam Benjamin Britten Performed by BBC Symphony Orchestra Directed by Edward Gardner

Two composers mentioned in Alex Ross's manifesto against "the notion of classical music as a reliable conduit for consoling beauty – a kind of spa treatment for tired souls" — Why do we hate modern classical music? An excerpt:
    When I was young, I loved the 18th- and 19th-century repertory to the exclusion of 20th-century music, both classical and pop. Then, once I acknowledged the force of dissonance, I went from Schoenberg to Messiaen to Xenakis, and, following the path of noise, moved on to the post-punk sound of Sonic Youth. Some of my contemporaries found classical music by proceeding in the opposite direction: they began not with Mozart but with Steve Reich or Arvo Pärt. To build the audience of the future, classical institutions should make more of unexpected bridges between genres.
I started out with Steve Reich and Sonic Youth, because they were both on my favorite label at the time, SST Records.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.