Saturday, October 16, 2010

Ralph McInerny on Thomas Merton's Seven Storey Mountain

"But it was Merton's enthusiasm for Catholic culture, particularly the spiritual and intellectual patrimony of the Church, that awoke in me a desire to assimilate and be grateful for that great tradition" — Mountain Man.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share


Blogger Mark in Spokane said...

Great quote about Merton's work. I know for me, reading Merton opened up an entire world of Catholic thought that I wasn't really aware of. His book on St. John of the Cross opened my worldview not only to the insights of that saint, but also on the power and beauty of Spanish theological thought in general. Merton's writings on non-violence and Christian approaches to political issues continues to resonate strongly with me. And above all else, Merton's insistence that Christianity be connected to Christ -- that nothing in Christian life be allowed to usurp the central place of Jesus in our lives -- has continued to serve as some of the best guidance on being a Christian in the world that I have ever encountered. All the better since it came from someone who was a monk!

3:13 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

A great book, indeed! One that paved the way for my conversion.

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.