Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Language Gap

News that "in some Korean missions abroad, such as Tehran and the Vatican, not one envoy can speak the local language" — No Korean diplomat can speak Farsi, Italian.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share


Blogger xavier said...

To make an acid observation: because they're all too busy learning English and like the dutiful citizens they are, none will learn a different language if only to distinguish themselves from the pack.

There are times, I,d like to tell some of the younger Korean students to learn a different language because everyone in Korea learns English

10:54 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

I have met young Koreans majoring in languages like Portuguese and Hindi. I even met a guy at my school a few days ago who volunteered for two years in Ecuador and learned not only Spanish but some Quechua.

11:41 PM  
Blogger xavier said...

Great to hear but not where I live. I haven't taught any Korean students any Spanish.

11:55 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

My wife majored in Spanish.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.