Friday, October 22, 2010

The Firing of Juan Williams

Some good may come of it, with "[c]onservatives and some liberals say[ing] NPR went too far in axing a longtime news analyst for saying he gets nervous on planes when he sees people in Muslim dress, and at least one U.S. senator [having] said he would start the ball rolling in cutting federal funding to the network" — NPR's fed funding questioned after firing analyst.

For the record, I love National Public Radio and have been listening to Juan Williams for twenty years. Still, I think a cutting of federal funding would make it a far better network and think that Guy Benson may be on to something with this — NPR Finally Finds An Excuse To Fire Juan Williams.

That said, I disagree with Mr. William's statement: "But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous." Mohamed Atta et al. weren't dressed in "Muslim garb" when they carried out their orders.

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger kushibo said...

Still, I think a cutting of federal funding would make it a far better network

I listen to NPR and PBS regularly, and when I hear their disclaimers that Toyota or Bank of America or such-and-such is an underwriter of their programming, I wonder if the one network meant to be fully independent (which was the intention with its original non-commercial status) wouldn't have been on Toyota and the banks sooner (i.e., before their major troubles became major troubles) had they not been worried to some degree about doing investigative journalism on their paid supporters. Instead, they never talked about the lethal cars or the toxic loans until they became news everywhere else.

Mohamed Atta et al. weren't dressed in "Muslim garb" when they carried out their orders.

True that. And most (?) didn't even have beards (an issue that their Muslim neighbors in the US even asked them about, as I read in Time way back). They indeed went well out of their way to blend in.

4:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.