Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Catholic Approach to Immigration

"[S]tates have the right to regulate migration flows and to defend their own frontiers, always guaranteeing the respect due to the dignity of each and every human person" — Pope Says States Have Right to Defend Borders. The Pontiff calls us to "combine the welcome due to every human being, especially when in need, with a reckoning of what is necessary for both the local inhabitants and the new arrivals to live a dignified and peaceful life."

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

Blogger Dauvit Balfour said...

I've been questioning the immigration issue for some time now, the reactionary part of me being skeptical of the American Bishops approach, but the libertarian in me questioning the non-constitutional assertion of authority over free movement of persons (citizenship is a different question altogether).

I'd be willing to defer to the pope in matters that aren't questions of judgment, but I wonder how The State can have rights?

9:05 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

I've moved from adherence of the American Bishops' approach to fluctuating between the Minutemen and libertarian approaches.

10:14 AM  
Blogger love the girls said...

"always guaranteeing"

What does that mean? Guarantee what? That I recognize his humanity? Easy enough, I do the same with my enemies.

But if that same enemy points gun at one of children, he's also a very dead enemy. Where as if my child were to point a gun at him, I would protect my child first, not my enemy.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.