The Republic of West Florida
Two hundred-years and some days ago it was established, and was to last seventy-four days — St. Tammany marks bicentennial of West Florida Republic. "The area that is now known as the Florida Parishes, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Livingston, St. Helena, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Washington, and West Feliciana, is now part of Louisiana but for a brief period in history, this area was part of its own country, the Republic of West Florida." A brief history of the republic's brief history:
- In September 1810, settlers in the Spanish territory of West Florida, which includes what is now St. Tammany Parish, revolted against the Spanish government and proclaimed an independent republic.
On Sept. 23, 1810, rebels stormed the Spanish fort near Baton Rouge, overwhelmed the Spanish and raised their own flag – the Bonnie Blue, a blue flag with one white star.
The West Florida Assembly dispatched its own army, commanded by General Phiemon Thomas and forcibly annexed the territory from the Mississippi River to the Pearl River. Residents proclaimed St. Francisville as its capital and elected Fulwar Skipwirth as its president.
However, its rule was short-lived.
On Dec. 6, 1810, under the order of then President James Madison, West Florida was forcibly annexed by the United States and the republic ceased to exist, after a life of 74 days.