Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"Maria Solinha" Performed by Luar Na Lubre

I heard a version of the above song on Korean radio while driving with my daughter and thought it was Irish (at 1:55 it starts sounding Irish), until I heard the singing which I thought was Castilian, but since I couldn't quite understand it, I put two and two together and guessed correctly it was Galician, spoken by the Celtiberians in their part of the peninsula.

Hearing "María" I thought it might be a Marian folksong, but my daughter, 7, rightly said it sounded sad, and how could a Marian folksong be sad? To my disappointment, I found it was about a woman "[a]cusada de practicar bruxería pola Inquisición."

Labels: , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.