Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Last Paperboy

"Boys who carried paper routes and mowed lawns," missed by the venerable Clyde N. Wilson, among many other all-American things — Those Were the Days. My comments:
    I was the last paperboy in my neighborhood. Like all paperboys, I rode a bike and put the newspapers carefully between the screen door and main door. I was replaced by a middle-aged man who tossed the newspapers from a car on customers' driveways or front yards, often into puddles. This happened during the Reagan Administration.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share


Blogger Donald said...

I wasn't THE last, but one of the last paper boys in my neighborhood. I tried doing the route by bike, but since virtually every house received the paper, and were so close together, it wasn't practical to use it; so I walked the route. I also put the paper between the screen and main doors. I had to collect the subscription fees myself, which was the worst part of the job. I would never find everyone at home, so I had to make my collection rounds twice a week in addition to the morning deliveries--regardless of the weather. The (much older) guy who does my old job (as in your case) tosses the papers from his car, and subscription fees are billed monthly to credit cards.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I was one of those paperboys and lawnmowers back in the late 70's. My father was one of those 'no free allowance' types, so there was no way around it. The hardest part of being a paperboy was just getting used to doing it day after day.

Seriously, I need to remind myself to thank my father for that.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.