Monday, August 16, 2010

American Classic Cars

The Young Fogey has a must-see photo-essay — New Hope Automobile Show and New Hope, Pa. My comments:
    As you know, I live in Korea. Here, cars are produced, but with built-in obselence and are off the road in a decade, unlike the gems you've posted. The same is true of appliances like refrigerators; the one I bought seven years ago now needs replaced, unlike my grandmother's Maytag that last four or five decades.

    I'm all for free trade, but our so-called government sold our workers, the best in the world, down the river decades ago with deindustrialization.

Labels: , , , , , ,

Bookmark and Share


Blogger Mark in Spokane said...

I'm not for free trade, I'm for fair trade. And I'm for producing quality goods that don't require constant replacement (except for computers, where the technology changes so fast that it makes sense not to have, for example, a laptop that lasts more than 2 or 3 years).

1:35 AM  
Blogger love the girls said...

Mark in Spokane writes : "I'm not for free trade, I'm for fair trade."

That's a very interesting distinction in light of the subject matter. Planned obsolescence was originally introduced as a means of keeping production rolling so as to stave off unemployment of the workers, but which has since become a system harmful to those same workers. The first system was fair, i.e. just, while the latter appears to be unjust since it's not ordered towards the good of the workers.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.