Tuesday, July 20, 2010

"Honey You Don't Know My Mind," "One Woman Man," & "Mary Ann" Performed by Jimmy Martin and the Sunny Mountain Boys

Bookmark and Share


Anonymous walt said...

Good stuff, Joshua. I got turned on to some of Jimmy Martin's music from a 2005 column from that "Lefty" site Counterpunch.
The Rebel King of Bluegrass Jimmy Martin: An Appreciation
The writer contends that bluegrass music was orginally a cutting edge style that was to be so tecnically demanding that only seasoned professional musicians could play it, reminds of how bebop emerged within jazz. When Elvis and Sun records rockabilly came along in the mid 50's bluegrass got pushed aside on the country charts but later found an audience with the folkies in the early 60's. Henceforth, bluegrass' image changed to being a very traditional music.I would add that the image is changing again with new audiences coming in to bluegrass from the "jamband" scene.Within the last fifteen years I've heard some jazz,and bluegrass musicians collaborting on some exciting "jamgrass" and "newgrass" pieces. However,I still reach more for my Ricky Skaggs, and "Down From the Mountain" CD's rather than Bela Fleck's when I'm in the mood for bluegrass .

3:36 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

walt, thanks for the history. CounterPunch has some good articles on music. My intro to Jimmy Martin was the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's Will the Circle Be Unbroken.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Barry said...

I like!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.