Wednesday, July 21, 2010

David Lindsay on the Origins of the American Republic

"The American Republic is not a product of the Revolution," writes the Englishman, quoted here — Catholic republicanism? He continues, "Nevertheless, it sits under a radically orthodox theological critique, most obviously by reference to pre-Revolutionary traditions of Catholic and Protestant republican thought, on the Catholic side perhaps Venetian, on the Protestant side perhaps Dutch, and on both sides perhaps at cantonal level in Switzerland, where it is possible that such thought might hold sway even now."

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger David Lindsay said...

Technically, I am not an Englishman. My father was Scottish, and my mother is from my birthplace, the super-loyal British Overseas Territory of Saint Helena. But I have lived in England almost all my life.

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.