Thursday, July 8, 2010

Arturo Vasquez on the "Low Mass"

Calling it "one of the highest forms of art in Western civilization," he suggests that "when performed by the book, it resembles kabuki theatre or a Japanese tea ceremony;" but one of many insights from this post — Notes on a blog.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share


Blogger Procopius said...

Both Arturo and the gentleman he attacks are learned and eloquent expositors of their views, but alas as I read them they are both painting themselves into intellectual corners. The latter with an overly mechanistic view of authority, and the former with an incoherent epistemology.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous ben said...

The more I read Arturo, the less I understand him. I have utterly no idea what he means by "paganism" in that post.

As for the low mass. Yes it is very beautiful and meditative. I especially enjoy low mass when uninterrupted by a homily, one that is pure ritual, It is great for weekday devotions. But Solemn High Mass really is something more. It seems to reveal elements of the Incarnation that the low mass is mute about.

I'm also not sure that I appreciate mass in anyfor being referred to as "art" To call soething an art seems to imply that its genesis is in men. And this is clearly not the case with the mass.

5:17 AM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

Procopius, I see your point.

ben, I'm reminded of what Diana Johnstone wrote in Why the French Hate Chomsky: "to be taken seriously in France, at least twenty percent of what one writes needs to be incomprehensible."

8:49 AM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...


Arturo must have a huge French fan base, then! =D

4:20 PM  
Blogger The Western Confucian said...

If he doesn't, he deserves one. The Francophile in me is a loyal fan!

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.