Friday, July 30, 2010

Anne Rice's Reversion

New Oxford Review links to the story — Anne Rice quits Christianity -- but not Christ. "I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being 'Christian' or to being part of Christianity," said the authoress. "It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group." She writes:
    In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.
Yawn... May Christ be with you, is all I can say. What a tiresome statement! I've never read Miss Rice; she's too popular for me to waste my time with her. If her books are still around fifty years after she's dead, maybe I'll give them a try, but I'll likely be dead, too.

I do read Miss Flannery O'Connor, however, and am currently reading the Catholic authoress's posthumous Mystery and Manners: Occasional Prose. Miss Rice's religious convictions are far more commonplace and far less convincing than those of Hazel Motes, founder of the "Church Without Christ" in Flannery O’Connor’s Wise Blood, or those of Onnie Jay Holy's "Church of Christ Without Christ" in the same.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

"Infamous," aye? I kind of like it! =P

I remember when the Catholic blogosphere was all a twitter over Anne Rice's reversion several years ago. (We love everyone who seems to affirm what we stand for, don't we? Especially if he's also glamourous!) I also remember being suspicious when Rice said her return to the Church meant she could no longer write vampire novels. Hello?! There is no better place than the Church in which to write vampire novels!

On the other hand, I'm sure many of us have felt, at several points in our Christian lives, a desire to disassociate ourselves from other members of the Mystical Body. We just don't get quoted in big newspapers when we blog about it. Small mercies . . .

4:04 AM  
Blogger The Expatriate said...

Hmm. I once did an experiment in which, for one month, I prayed to Jesus every day to satisfy my wants, and the next month I prayed to the Vampire Lestat. I found roughly the same rate of satisfaction with each.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Kevin J Jones said...

"I found roughly the same rate of satisfaction with each."

Self-satisfaction, I assume?

5:05 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Wolfe said...

She found out she was in a church brimming with sinners and said "ewww".

Hope her Buddy Christ poster isn't all soiled.

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.