Friday, November 20, 2009

Women in the Wild West

"Pioneers in petticoats would disdain today’s oppression studies," says Roger D. McGrath — You Go West, Girl! An excerpt:
    In 1985, I presented a paper on violence in the Old West at a historical conference. I described how women, other than prostitutes, rarely suffered from violence, were treated with respect, and often displayed extraordinary courage. For this I was attacked by two women professors in the audience. I provided them with a wealth of statistics and dozens of anecdotes. That only made it worse. It was about then that I realized I was confronting the religion of political correctness and that one of the articles of faith was victimhood. These particular women were not delighted to hear of the derring-do and heroism of their frontier sisters. But history is full of such stories.

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Blogger laBiscuitnapper said...

I like to think of myself as a feminist and I have to say that I completely agree witht his analysis. It's what I half jokingly refer to as the 'double oppression'. It's bad enough that women at various points in the history of various cultures were oppressed by law and custom, but when some modern feminists then choose to ignore or devalue the efforts made by women in such times and cultures to own their destinies - if you'd pardon the phrase - then it becomes something worse.

Something rather anti-feminist, in fact.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Omnes Sancti et Sanctæ Coreæ, orate pro nobis.